A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Sunday 4 March 2012

Two More Gunpowder Bags.

I probably will not get to use all three of these gunpowder bags unless TEOTWAWKI happens in my life time. However, it is comforting knowing that I have them to use if I wish. A leather pouch of this size is of course much lighter to carry than a powder horn, and more flexible for fitting in my knapsack or scrip.


This one you may have seen before, and remember that these gunpowder bags when empty of gunpowder are used for storing extra tinder material.

Slightly narrower necks on these two. Just like my first one the tops are bent over to close, and then tied.



   takes fire readily from the spark of a steel: but it is much improved by being kept dry in a bag that has contained gunpowder.”
Samuel Hearne, Northern Canada, 1772

1 comment:

Rothco Military said...

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks for sharing this with others.Thanks.........
Regards,
ROTHCO